Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Ask and you shall be answered !


Once again,I see echoes of our traditional roles in the virtual space. Answering board might sound hip and cool but at the end of the day, a reference query still remains a reference query.The only novelty to the equation is the peer/user review process of rating the answer.I personally found the answering board a little bit too messy and random. Yes, there are subject categories, but they are quite broad and imprecise. I think many queries may be lost in the WWW or still awaiting an answer.It seems that the answer board also serves many uses-e.g.personal ad, seeking an opinion, meeting people, looking for answers, not very clear cut!
I don't know if there is a real need for this technology at my workplace.I don't quite know how we can manage the queries when there is no actual system of control in place. Answering board are very impersonal and informal, the nature of the queries differs from the traditional reference questions that you receive via email.
As for customer review or comments, sometimes, the one-on-one option may be the best manner to gage customers' satisfaction or dissatisfaction rate.
I think using these answer boards websites to sharpen our reference skills is a great idea. I also like the idea that we are contributing something free to the world. An act of generosity where we share our knowledge and help others at the same time. It's very altruistic and it reflects my personal belief and values as a Buddhist.

No comments: